Friday, January 24, 2014

Boynton Diner, Boynton Beach, January 24, 2014

I don't know who is the brains behind the Boynton Diner. But whoever that person is, he or she said, "lo, for I shall serve breakfast on plates bigger than a person's head, and they shall come."

The Boynton Diner is indeed the home of the big-ass (or big-head) breakfast. It's also tasty, inexpensive, and served with a side of sass. What more could you want?

I've been driving past this place since I started working in Delray Beach. It's tucked away in a Publix Shopping plaza at the corner of Woolbright Road and US 1. I had a few minutes this morning and stopped in.

It's your basic diner layout, 2 rooms with booths and tables. It seems clean and smells pleasantly like breakfast. I took a seat at the counter, where all the single men sit, having second helpings of lives' regrets.

But seriously, I sat down and was served immediately. The menu is pretty simple.  
I ordered two eggs over easy and corned beef hash with a side of home fries, as well as coffee. The meal came with toast, and I substituted biscuits at no charge.

The eggs were perfect -- not over- or under-cooked. But it's the corned beef hash that is the standout.  It arrived lightly seared with a crispy crust. Delicious.

The home fries were bland and disappointing, but that's why God invented Tobasco sauce.  I wouldn't order the home fries again, however.

The biscuits were excellent -- light, fluffy and obviously made with butter. The coffee was pretty generic, but served hot and black, so no complaints there.

Two more important points:  The Boynton Diner has free wifi, so hooray for that.

And the diner does not accept credit cards. There is an ATM machine next to the cash register, in case you find yourself short.

All in all, I think I will visit the Boynton Diner again. Their pancake are as big as throw rugs; if they serve those with chocolate chips, I'll gladly end up in a food coma.

1 comment: